It’s almost Earth Day, and even though I try to live like it’s Earth Day everyday, there is always more to do! This year, I’m focusing on further reducing my dependence on SINGLE-USE PLASTICS. Almost all of us can do better at this! So next week, in honor of Earth Day, me and my sea sistas at Changing Tides Foundation are hosting a 7-day challenge to develop more awareness about our use of single-use plastics! It’s easy and it’s gonna be fun.
Everyday, I collect trash from the oceans and beaches here in the South Pacific. At least 8m tonnes of plastics leak into the ocean every minute. Ugh! Enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the earth four times. Annually approximately 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide!? Plastic in the ocean breaks down into such small bits that pieces of plastic from a one liter bottle could end up on every mile of beach throughout the world!? These tiny pieces enter the food chain, harming wildlife–one million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans–as well as contaminating fish that ends up on the plates of seafood consumers. Plastic chemicals can be absorbed by the body—93 percent of Americans age six or older test positive for BPA (a plastic chemical). Scientists predict that there will be more plastic than fish (by weight) in our oceans by 2050!
So what can we do!? Well, according to the laws of supply and demand, we the consumers have the power to make a difference. We can refuse single-use plastics and bring our own reusable waterbottles, cutlery, cups, and shopping bags! We can say, “Ice tea, no straw please.” … when ordering drinks in restaurants. We can opt to buy items packaged in an alternative to plastic.
In an effort to cultivate accountability of how much plastic we use individually, starting on Earth Day, me and my sea sisters at Changing Tides Foundation are inviting you to join us in our #PLASTICSWEARJAR CHALLENGE! Need some inspiration? Check out this film called, A Plastic Ocean. Let me know if you’re in! xoxo, Capt Lizzy
THE OBJECTIVE: TO BRING AWARENESS TO THE AMOUNT OF SINGLE-USE PLASTICS PURCHASED AND USED IN OUR DAILY LIVES BY CREATING ACCOUNTABILITY.
SWEAR: FOR PURPOSES OF THIS CHALLENGE, A “SWEAR” IS EACH TIME YOU USE OR PURCHASE A SINGLE-USE PLASTIC ITEM (SEE THE LIST BELOW FOR COMMONLY USED SINGLE-USE PLASTICS)
1. DESIGNATE A CONTAINER AS YOUR #PLASTICSWEARJAR AND DECORATE IT SO THAT ITS OBVIOUS WHAT ITS FOR;
2. KEEP TRACK OF ALL OF YOUR “SWEARS” EACH DAY (ON YOUR PHONE, IOU’S OR WHATEVER WORKS);
3. FOR EACH “SWEAR”, PLACE $1 (OR WHATEVER FEELS FAIR) INTO THE JAR;
4. LET US KNOW YOU’RE PARTICIPATING BY SHARING A PHOTO WITH YOUR CHALLENGE AND TAG @CHANGINGTIDESFOUNDATION & #PLASTICSWEARJAR FOR YOUR CHANCE TO BE FEATURED AND WIN SOME OF OUR ECO-FRIENDLY GOODIES.
AT THE END OF THE 7 DAYS, YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO DONATE THE FUNDS TO CHANGING TIDES FOUNDATION VIA OUR #PLASTICSWEARJAR FUNDRAISER PAGE, WHICH WILL BE USED TO BENEFIT OUR ENVIRONMENTAL INITIATIVES.
BE HONEST! THIS WON’T WORK UNLESS WE HOLD OURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE.
REMEMBER, THIS ISN’T ABOUT BEING PERFECT, IT’S ABOUT BECOMING MORE AWARE.
YOU ALSO HAVE OPTION TO PURCHASE A DISCOUNTED PRODUCT BUNDLE OR SHOP OUR INDIVIDUAL ECO-FRIENDLY ITEMS TO JUMPSTART YOUR SUCCESS ON THE #PLASTICSWEARJAR CHALLENGE AND 100% OF THE PROCEEDS OF YOUR PURCHASE WILL BENEFIT CHANGING TIDES FOUNDATION.
FEEL FREE TO MAKE THE CHALLENGE YOUR OWN! WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO PICK A NUMBER OF DAYS FOR YOUR CHALLENGE (7 IS RECOMMENDED, BUT 3 IS GOOD, EVEN 1 DAY MAKES A DIFFERENCE).
- USE YOUR PHONE, A NOTE PAD OR IOU’S TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR “SWEARS”.
- GET YOUR HOUSEHOLD (FAMILY/ROOMMATES/KIDS) TO PARTICIPATE.
- GET THIS GOING AT WORK AND INVITE YOUR OFFICE TO PARTICIPATE.
- TAKE NOTE OF HOW MANY “SWEARS” YOU MAKE PER DAY AND TRACK YOUR DAILY PROGRESS.
MOST COMMON SINGLE-USE PLASTICS (“SWEARS”) AND ECO-ALTERNATIVES:
- PLASTIC BAGS (CTF BAGUITO REUSABLE BAGS)
- PLASTIC WATER BOTTLES (CTF MIZU WATER BOTTLES)
- PLASTIC CUPS (CTF STAINLESS STEEL CUPS/MASON JAR)
- PLASTIC STRAWS (USE SIMPLY STRAWS GLASS STRAWS)
- PLASTIC UTENSILS (USE CTF BAMBOO UTENSILS)
- PLASTIC SARAN/ZIPLOCK/SANDWICH BAGS (BEES WRAP)
- PLASTIC BOTTLE CAPS AND WRAPPERS